Taoiseach Leo Varadkar TD, Minister for Health Simon Harris TD, Minister for Transport Shane Ross and Anne Graham, CEO of the National Transport Authority (NTA) have today launched a campaign on face coverings.
According to the government, face coverings are recommended in situations where social distancing is not possible, for example in shops and on busy public transport, or if you are meeting someone who is vulnerable to the virus, for example people who are cocooning.
Wearing cloth face coverings may help prevent people who do not know they have the virus from spreading it to others.
Wearing of face coverings is recommended in the following circumstances:
- when staying 2 metres apart from people is difficult – for example, in shops, shopping centres or public transport.
- by people visiting the homes of those who are cocooning.
- by people who are being visited in their homes by those who are cocooning.
‘…WEaring a face mask will help you to protect those around you’Simon Harris TD, Minister for Health
Minister Simon Harris TD said that while it is not a magic shield, wearing a face mask will help you to protect those around you and is an additional measure aimed at stopping the spread of this virus.
Transport Minister Shane Ross and Anne Graham outlined that people should also wear the coverings while on a bus, tram, train or taxi.
People wearing face coverings are still advised to do the important things necessary to prevent the spread of the virus.
- washing your hands properly and often
- covering your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve when you cough and sneeze
- not touching your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean
- social distancing (keeping at least 2 metres away from other people)
Cloth face coverings are not suitable for children under the age of 13 and anyone who:
- has trouble breathing
- is unconscious or incapacitated
- is unable to remove it without help
- has a disability and who may feel upset or uncomfortable wearing the face-covering
Detailed content is available on gov.ie/facecoverings and HSE.ie with guidance on how to make and safely use face coverings.
For updated and factual Public Health information and advice on COVID-19 Coronavirus, please visit hse.ie/coronavirus or call 1800 700 700
For the latest information on the Covid-19 Vaccine Programme, please visit hse.ie/covid-19-vaccine