The discovery of over 80 gold coins in one of the oldest pubs in Carrick on Suir has been described as one of the most significant archaeological finds in recent times.
The hoard was unearthed on January 14th during groundworks being undertaken on the foundations of Cooney’s pub in the town.
The 81 coins date back from 1630 to 1702 and appear to be mainly guineas and a small number of half guineas.
The site has since been investigated by archaeologists from the National Museum of Ireland and the National Monuments Service who say the last comparable discovery of 17th century coins was made in Portarlington in Co Laois in 1947.
The Minister for Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht Jimmy Denihan has been invited to view coins at the National Museum on Kildare Street where they are now being held. The viewing will take at 11am tomorrowe morning.