2023 Michael Hogan U13 Football Tournament Cancelled

174

Storm Babet is responsible for the cancellation of the 2023 Michael Hogan U13 football tournament.

Tipperary Football Board decided today to cancel the tournament which was due to take place at 8 venues across the county involving 60 teams on Saturday October 21st.  

Conor O’Dwyer, Chair of Tipperary Football Board says a decision was made today rather than leaving it to the last minute on the morning of the event.  Mr O’Dwyer says given the high level of rainfall predicted for the coming days the Board wanted to avoid disruption for clubs, players, parents and officials with a last minute cancellation as was the case last year.

The Board will review the event in due course for 2024, but given the experience over the last 2 years it fears an October date is always going to be a challenge. The U11 tournament that runs in May/ June works really well and the committee will continue with that event again as normal in 2024.

Tipperary Football Board is extending thanks to all the clubs that entered teams, the  host clubs for making their facilities available and apologises for any inconvenience caused by the cancellation.

The Michael Hogan Festival of Football was first held in 2021 and is intended to give players U11(May) and U13(October) the opportunity to play in a tournament and to raise the profile of Gaelic Football within the county. It is also intended to afford players at the U11 and U13 grades the opportunity to play and to enjoy the game of Gaelic Football with an emphasis on enjoyment and encouraging children in every corner of the county to develop both their own skills and an interest in and love of the game.

The Festival is named after Michael Hogan from Grangemockler who died in Croke Park on 21st of November 1920. He was the only player shot dead along with 13 spectators by Crown Forces on Bloody Sunday during the War of Independence. The Hogan Stand at Croke Park is named in his memory.