As we are committed to serving our community and providing updated public health and information we’ve built this page gives you links to official links to verified sources with the latest information. COVID-19 is a new illness that can affect your lungs and airways. It’s caused by a virus called coronavirus.
Ireland now has multiple cases of Covid-19 Coronavirus and we have moved from a “containment” to a “delay” phase of fighting the outbreak. Everybody has a role in helping to slow down the spread of the virus. Watch this 20 second video on how you can protect yourself and those around you.
Symptoms of coronavirus
It can take up to 14 days for symptoms of coronavirus to appear. The most common symptoms of coronavirus are:
- a cough – this can be any kind of cough, not just dry
- shortness of breath
- breathing difficulties
- fever (high temperature)
- Other symptoms are fatigue, headaches, sore throat, aches and pains.
When you may need to call a doctor
If you develop symptoms you will need to self-isolate and phone your GP. Do not go to a GP surgery, pharmacy or hospital. The GP will assess you over the phone. If they think you need to be tested for coronavirus, they will arrange a test.
How coronavirus is spread
Coronavirus is spread in sneeze or cough droplets.
You could get the virus if you:
- come into close contact with someone who has the virus and is coughing or sneezing
- touch surfaces that someone who has the virus has coughed or sneezed on
As it’s a new illness, we do not know how easily the virus spreads from person to person. Spread is most likely from those who have symptoms.
The virus may only survive a few hours if someone who has it coughs or sneezes on a surface. Simple household disinfectants can kill the virus on surfaces. Clean the surface first and then use a disinfectant.
- The European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control
- The World Health Organisation The Health Protection Surveillance Centre
- Health Service Executive
- Dept. of Foreign Affairs Travel Advice (all countries)
- Irish Government COVID-19 Dashboard
- Tipperary County Council Covid-19 Response Hub
- Heatmap tracker of Cornoavirus Covid-19 around the world
- Worldmeter Country by Country Covid-19 stats (incl. Ireland)