The HSE is asking people to get the flu vaccine. The flu vaccine is being rolled out for health care staff and is free of charge to HSE staff and to recommended groups.
The HSE has also begun using the adapted bivalent vaccines for Covid. Three adapted bivalent mRNA COVID-19 vaccines have been recommended for use for booster vaccination by the National Immunisation Advisory Committee (NIAC), following approval by the European Medicines Agency. Those aged over 65 and all aged 12 and over with a weak immune system are invited for their next COVID-19 vaccine.
The winter vaccination programme will facilitate booster doses of COVID-19 vaccine and seasonal flu vaccines being administered at the same time in GPs and Pharmacies.
This winter, both the flu and COVID-19 viruses are expected to circulate. Flu and COVID-19 are caused by different viruses but both can cause serious illness. Both Flu and COVID-19 vaccines will be available from participating GPs and Pharmacies and can be given at the same time.
From October 17th the children’s flu nasal spray vaccine will also be available free for all children aged 2 to 17 years from GPs and Pharmacies.
This year the free flu vaccine is recommended for you if you are in one of these groups:
· Aged 65 or over
· A healthcare worker
· Children aged 2 – 17
· At any stage of pregnancy
· People with certain long term medical conditions that put them at increased risk from the complications of flu
For a full list of recommended groups visit www.hse.ie/flu
Additional Flu Vaccine Information:
This year, there are 2 different types of flu vaccine being offered to different groups – and also two different brands of the QIV type.
· Quadrivalent influenza vaccine (QIV) for at-risk groups including people who are 65 and over; are pregnant; are aged 18 to 64 and have a long term medical condition; or are a healthcare worker.
· Nasal spray flu vaccine for children aged 2 to 17 years.
There are 2 brands of QIV vaccine available this year:
· Quadrivalent Influenza Vaccine (split virion, inactivated) manufactured by Sanofi Pasteur
· Influvac Tetra manufactured by Mylan