Investigations are continuing in to circumstances surrounding the deaths of two people at their home in Cloneen near Mullinahone.
The remains of 81-year-old Nicholas Smith and his 79-year-old wife, Hilary, were discovered on Monday.
The couple originally from England were found deceased in their rural bungalow following welfare check by local Gardai on foot of concerns raised by a member of the public.
Garda say that post-mortems conducted yesterday were inconclusive as to the cause of death.
Toxicology tests will now be used to assist with looking at the possibility that the couple may have died from carbon monoxide poisoning.
These results will not be immediately available.
Garda may use dental records and DNA sampling to confirm the identity of the couple.
The couple were living in the area for approximately 10 years.
A forensic examination of the home is also underway.
Local councillor Mark Fitzgerald says that he did not know the couple as they lived a very quiet and private life – he offered his support to the couple’s family and praised the local Garda for their quick response when asked to carry out a welfare check.
The couple had told some people that they intended to sell the house and relocate.
Gardal believe they may have died in November or December 2020.
Garda are making this assessment based on items found in the house such as milk and other food items.
The fact that all the curtains had been drawn closed and there was no sign of forced entry into the house is seen by detectives as having some significance, and could suggest a number of different scenarios to explain their deaths.
A missing person’s charity in the United Kingdom has confirmed it was not aware of any alerts placed for the couple.
Anyone who can assist the investigation is asked to contact Clonmel Garda station on (052) 6177640 or any Garda station.