This Friday, April 15th 2011, your community radio station, Tipperary Mid West Radio celebrates 21 years on air! As part of our celebrations we’ll be hosting an open day at our studios on St. Michaels St. from 10.30am ’till 5pm. You’re welcome to drop in meet the staff, have a cuppa and some birthday cake! We’ll have special guests dropping by all day and we want you to be part of our 21st celebrations!
No need to bring a present – we’ll be giving them away on-air! Drop into local businesses and shops around Tipperary town and put your name and number into our Birthday Draw box. We’ll be drawing out names live on-air all day on Friday and there will be great to be won! Stay tuned to 104.8fm and 106.7fm to win!
1990! It seems only like yesterday!! Here’s some key events from the year that Tipperary Mid West Radio went on-air! What else was happening that year?
– Mary Robinson was elected as President of Ireland
– Italia ’90 – we’ll never forget that penalty shoot out!
– Cardinal O’Fiach dies
– Charles Haughey is Taoiseach
– Reunification of Germany
– Nelson Mandela is released from jail in South Africa
– Cork take the double in Football and Hurling
– No. 1 songs in the charts include Sinead O’Connor “Nothing Compares to You”, Mick Lally “The Byroad to Glenroe”, The Sawdoctors “I useta love her” and a host of football songs including “Put ’em under pressure”
– Zig and Zag and Glenroe still on TV!
UPDATE! Photos from our 21st Anniversary Open Day are now on our Facebook Page (no membership or login required to view them).